So you’ve decided it’s worth your time to learn Malay? It’s time for a Malay lesson then!
As with learning any other languages, the first step to learning Malay is to learn some basic greetings.
Some of the words I cover in this lesson are:
- Selamat pagi – Good morning
- Selamat petang – Good afternoon/evening
- Selamat malam – Good evening/Goodnight (it’s not a bedtime greeting as is “Goodnight”
- Apa khabar? – How are you?
- Khabar baik – I’m fine.
- Terima kasih – Thank you
- Sama-sama – You’re welcome
- Maafkan saya… – Excuse me…
- Selamat jalan – Goodbye (literally translates into “Have a safe journey” – a farewell greeting said TO the person who is leaving the place)
Other basic greetings in Malay are:
- Selamat tinggal – Goodbye (in contrast with “Selamat jalan”, “Selamat tinggal” is a farewell greeting said BY the person who is leaving)
- Selamat tengah hari – Good afternoon (given at noon between 12pm and 2pm, latest)